Monday, June 29, 2009

Random Thoughts From the Weekend

I had my father in town this past weekend. Always a good time, but I will be honest, 3 days is plenty. By Sunday after lunch, I'm looking at my watch thinking, "What time is his flight?" Is it rude to drop him off at the airport 3 hours early? Will he buy my story that the Atlanta airport is a zoo and on Sundays you really need to give yourself about 3 hours to get through security etc..?"

Needless to say, here are some random thoughts from the weekend that passed:

- By Wednesday of this week, will anyone be talking about USA Soccer, until the World Cup 2010? Will FIFA ban those really annoying horns the fans blow for THE ENTIRE MATCH?

- Watching Tim Wakefield throw a knuckle ball live is fun for about 1 inning. After that, it's pretty boring in person. Especially when its 96 degrees outside, and you're sitting motionless in the stands praying for some excitement....

- Is there a more classic/traditional order at a steakhouse than: Caesar salad, filet, side of some type of potato? Perfect. That was my meal Saturday night at BLT Steak in Atlanta.

- Interleague play works. Crowds continue to show up in baseball stadiums all summer long for the rare chance to see players/teams that don't roll thru town otherwise.

- What caused my current cold? Too much air conditioning or sleeping with the fan on?

- I get the sense, this year's Wimbledon is a battle of "who want's to face Roger Federer in the Finals?"

- Sad news about Yao Ming - out for all of next year....career in jeopardy!?! Devastating news to the Rockets franchise!

- Watched TAKEN on DVD (had seen it at the movies). "I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you." WILL GO DOWN AS ONE OF THE GREAT SCENES....

- Fighting a cold, keeping this short...on way to the gym. Is that smart? Never know if working out is bad when you are fighting a cold?

I will have better stuff later in the week..i promise..it's the dog days of summer for cryin out loud!

3 comments:

  1. like the movie quote from a great irish actor!!! heres two more you missed, from the epic classic kingdom of heaven..."I once fought for two days with an arrow thru my testicle".....the second one is a classic son.."Be without fear in the face of your enemies...Be brave and upright that god may love thee...Speak the truth even if it leads to your death...Safegaurd the helpless, and do no wrong..That is your oath, rise a knight!! maybe if you read this before work everyday, you may get motivated and actually cut a deal!!! latah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will keep talking about soccer (USA team and otherwise), but who knows if anyone else will. Even if talk fades, this proves that people here can get interested in soccer (even if it takes us challenging the giants of the sport to get people to take notice).

    ReplyDelete