Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Great American GiveBack


So Reggie Bush decided to step up and give back his Heisman Trophy before that obscure, random group I wrote about in my last column (The Heisman Trust) took it from him.

While we are in the giving mood, I have a few suggestions:

In Sports Illustrated issue dated April 1st, 1985, Heisman Trophy winner Mike Rozier of Nebraska admitted he had signed with an agent and accepted money before the 1984 Orange Bowl game, a violation of NCAA rules. I want Mike Rozier to give back his Heisman Trophy.

Roger Clemens cheated...he took steroids and lied to congress. Those are facts. So here's what I want: I want the New York Yankees to lose their World Series titles in 1999 and 2000. Roger Clemens pitched in both of those series. I want them to give those trophies back. I want Roger Clemens to personally give back all seven of Cy Young Awards.


Mark McGuire cheated...he took steroids and lied to congress. I want Mark McGuire to give back his AL Rookie of the Year Award. I want the Oakland A's to give back their 1989 World Series trophy. Heck, not only did they beat the San Francisco Giants with McGuire, but they had another cheater in Jose Canseco.

Alex Rodriguez took performance enhancing drugs. He signed a $252 million contract in the prime of his steroid-using career. I want him to give some of that money back.

October 8th, 1988 former Heisman Trophy winner Tony Dorsett was arrested for driving under the influence -- well, that doesn't seem to live up to the moral standards of the snooty Heisman Trust, gosh darnit, I want him to give his award back.

Back in 2000, former Heisman Trophy winner Billy Sims sold his trophy to cover a multitude of debts and to pay about $32,000 in back child support. I want him to.......wait, nevermind, he doesn't even own it anymore.

My point is all over the world of sports there are players who broke the rules or cheated that are sitting at home with a mantle full of awards. There are teams that benefited from those players that won championships that have their trophies proudly displayed. Yet, Reggie Bush seems to be the only one that has been "forced" to give his prize back. Why?








No comments:

Post a Comment